6.2 Rules of Conduct for Driver Members
Any breach of the Charter of Responsibilities for Members could result in the suspension of your account (in which case you could be asked to pay a reactivation fee in order to have your account privileges reinstated) or in the permanent closing of your account and membership. As a driver member of our service, you agree to:
- provide true and accurate information in your ride postings and designate clear meeting places for your passengers;
- follow the indications and information you included in the ride postings;
- arrive at the meeting place at least 5 minutes prior to the departure time defined in your ride posting;
- inform Kangaride of any cancellation at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time for the ride. Any last-minute cancellations could result in your account being suspended or your membership privileges being revoked;
- wait at least 10 minutes at the meeting place if one of your passengers is missing and inform Kangaride of any missing passengers;
- verify the identity of your passengers and make sure the passengers riding with you are the ones who reserved seats;
- make sure your passengers are dropped off at the location they agreed on, in a safe and timely manner;
- abide by the Highway Safety Code for the jurisdiction(s) in which you are travelling;
- maintain your vehicle in good working condition and verify its condition before each ride;
- 10. have car insurance that covers the transport of passengers;
- abide by the laws of your province or state and country regarding driving, carpooling, and ridesharing;
- seat at most two passengers in the back seat of the vehicle (for a conventional five-seat car) even if the maximum capacity is higher;
- be respectful of others and let Kangaride know of any harmful or disrespectful behaviour or any breach of the Rules of Conduct by passengers;
- not post rides with your Kangaride account for anyone else other than yourself.
- advise Kangaride administrators if another user infringes on the Terms of Service. In such circumstances, only the administrators can impose a fine to the users at fault.
- make sure that, for a given route, the contribution requested from each passenger multiplied by the number of occupants in the car (yourself included), does not exceed the amount required to cover the normal operating cost of your vehicle.* If this is not the case, be aware that your use of the service does not fit within the legal definition of carpooling.
* As a rough guide, the Canada Revenue Agency allowance rate for travel compensation indicates that an employee using their own vehicle for travel may receive compensation of $ 0.54 / km for the first 5,000 kilometers driven in a fiscal year and $ 0.48 / km for all subsequent kilometers traveled.
6.3 Passenger Members Rules of Conduct
Any breach of the Charter of Responsibilities for Members could result in the suspension of your account (in which case you could be asked to pay a reactivation fee in order to have your account privileges reinstated) or in the permanent closing of your account and membership. As a passenger member of our service, you agree to:
- arrive at the meeting place at least 5 minutes prior to the departure time defined in the ride posting;
- know and abide by your driver's preferences and requirements including but not limited to secondhand smoke, size of luggage, acceptance of pets, and all other preferences defined in the ride posting;
- inform Kangaride of any cancellation at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time for the ride. Any last minute cancellations could result in your account being suspended or your membership privileges being revoked;
- wait at least 15 minutes at the meeting place if your driver is missing, and inform Kangaride that your driver is missing;
- make sure that the name of the driver and the car model, colour and license plate number correspond to the information that was relayed to you by Kangaride;
- abide by the Highway Safety Code;
- abide by the laws of your province or state and country regarding carpooling;
- be respectful of others and let Kangaride know of any harmful or disrespectful behaviour or any breach of the Rules of Conduct by other passengers or by your driver;
- not book seats with your account for anyone else other than yourself, unless the other person(s) travel(s) with you in the same car for the same ride.
- advise Kangaride administrators if another user infringes on the Terms of Service.
1. Please note that repeated cancellations greatly reduce the overall reliability of the service for driver as well as passenger members. Kangaride reserves the right to suspend your account and,
if applicable, not reimburse the booking credits used for the transaction, after your third cancellation within the same year of membership.
2. If the contribution to the driver has been preauthorized on your credit card,
a part of this amount could be charged and given to the driver. The booking credit is a distinct fee and is not included in the conditions stated below.
* Any cancellations can be done online on the reservation page or with the customer service by phone at 1-855-526-4274. No other arrangements with the driver will be considered valid.
- If the cancellation of a passenger occurs more than 24 hours before the expected departure time, the passenger keeps the entire contribution.
- If the driver cancels the ride, the passenger keeps the entire contribution.
- If the passenger does not show up on the meeting point at the expected departure time without cancelling properly* his place,
the entire contribution is charged on the passenger's credit card to be given to the driver.
- If the passenger cancels his place properly* less than 24 hours before the expected departure time, half of the contribution is given to the driver.
6.5 Good Faith Clause
All participants in a rideshare have the responsibility to ensure that the ride goes as smoothly as possible. A good-faith approach and adherence to the values of Kangaride are required from all members, even if another member infringes on the terms of service. These values are: collaboration, care, and commitment to excellence.
A passenger doesn't have the exact change to pay for the ride. She has a $20 bill instead of the $15 required.
Kangaride recommends that all passengers have exact change on them to pay their driver. However, in accordance with the values of our organization, all those occupying the vehicle (including the driver) are encouraged to make change among themselves if possible so that the payment can take place.
A passenger calls Kangaride outside of our hours of operation to cancel a booking.
If the departure is imminent (the next morning, for example), we encourage the passenger to inform the driver directly of the cancellation, by phone or by email. As a rule, the administrators inform drivers of cancellations by their passengers. However, if the cancellation occurs outside of our opening hours, it is sometimes not possible for us to let the driver know before the departure time. In these cases, the collaboration of the passengers who must cancel is encouraged.
A driver calls Kangaride outside of our hours of operation to cancel a trip.
If the departure is imminent (the next morning, for example), we encourage the driver to inform their passengers directly of the cancellation, by phone or email. As a rule, the administrators inform passengers of cancellations. However, if the cancellation occurs outside of our opening hours, it is sometimes not possible for us to let passengers know before the departure time. In these cases, the collaboration of the drivers who must cancel is encouraged.
6.6 General Rules of Conduct for Members
You agree that you will not use the Service to:
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, torturous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or generally unlawful;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Kangaride official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Service;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of illegal solicitation;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of the Service are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges;
- interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, provincial, national or international law, and any regulations having the force of law;
- collect or provide funds, directly or indirectly, in order to carry out terrorist crimes, contribute to or facilitate the activities of a terrorist group, or instruct anyone to carry out a terrorist activity, including doing any of the foregoing in relation to a listed entity under s.83.05 of Part II.1 of the Criminal Code;
- "stalk" or otherwise harass another;
- collect or store personal data about other users without their express consent, or in connection with the prohibited conduct and activities set forth in paragraphs (a) through (m) above.
You understand that all materials, including without limitation, information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, and email messages or other kinds of messages ("Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated. This means that you, and not Kangaride, are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available via the Service. Kangaride does not control the Content posted via the Service and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content. You understand that by using the Service, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will Kangaride be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any Content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of or reliance upon any Content posted, emailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the Service.
You acknowledge that Kangaride does not pre-screen Content, but that Kangaride and its designees have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or move any Content that is available via the Service. Moreover, Kangaride and its designees shall have the right to remove any Content that violates the TOS or is otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such Content. In this regard, you acknowledge that you may not rely on any Content created by Kangaride or submitted to Kangaride that is available on any part of the Service, including but not limited to information in Kangaride forums or blog.
You acknowledge and expressly consent to Kangaride accessing, preserving, and disclosing your account information and Content if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such access, preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the TOS; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third-parties; (d) respond to your requests for customer service; or (e) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Kangaride, its users and the public.
You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including your Content, may involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
You understand that the Service and software embodied within the Service may include security components that permit digital materials to be protected, and use of these materials is subject to usage rules set by Kangaride and/or content providers who provide Content to the Service. You agree that you will not attempt to override or circumvent any of the usage rules embedded into the Service. Any unauthorized reproduction, publication, further distribution or public exhibition of the materials provided on the Service, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.
6.6.1 Behaviour of Members towards Kangaride Staff
Kangaride will not tolerate disrespectful behaviour towards its staff. Disrespectful behaviour includes but is not limited to any dialogue, action, or behaviour that infringe on the dignity or the integrity of Kangaride staff members.
6.7 Special Clause for Drivers
Kangaride attaches great importance to the driving history of its driver members, particularly regarding driving under the influence of alcohol. Please note that drivers with a history of driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) will be denied access to our service as long as they are obliged by law to drive with an alcohol breath tester (breathalyzer) or any alcohol tester of any kind.
6.8 Special Clause for Ontario
If you plan on using our service to, from, or within the province of Ontario, it is your responsibility to read, understand and abide by the Public Vehicle Act of Ontario. The Public Vehicle Act of Ontario clearly defines a "car pool vehicle" and the conditions you must meet to be excluded from being considered a public transport vehicle or taxi.
6.9 Special Clause for Canada-U.S. Border Crossing
To facilitate border crossing between the U.S. and Canada, we ask all Kangaride members to:
- be 18 years of age or older ;
- be free of a criminal record in Canada or in the U.S. ;
- have the required personal identification ready for presentation at primary inspection before arriving at the border.
For more information, please consult the Canada-U.S. Border Crossing Check-List